Walking into a new and brighter life.

Walking into a new and brighter life.

The healthy me

The healthy me

Finding your way around

~*~ You can look on the right hand side of this page and see what the catagories are, or you can just scroll down until you find what you're looking for ~*~ To leave a comment you need to sign up for a google account. It's quick and easy and they expect nothing else from you. LoL

This I know.................

This I know.................

Friday, July 15, 2011

Emergency rooms and dogs under the covers

By 1:30 in the afternoon yesterday I was in the emergency room.  I had first called my primary care doctor and they were out to lunch, next I called my pulmonologist and the phone for his nurse went straight to voice mail.  Then I called Bill and no answer.  I tried to call Britt and no answer.  My next call was to the neighbor, then 911.  Bill called me back and I told him I needed him to take me to the hospital that I was in terrible pain and it was getting increasingly hard to breath.

They of course put 2 I.V.'s in ... one on the back of my hand for meds and one on the other arm further up so a bigger needle could be used to run dye through for the CT scan that was for sure to come.

I am not knocking the Dr.'s or nursing staff there.  I understand their job and need to rule things out.  I told them this was not a cardiac event.  That the pain was in my lower left lung and it felt like a stabbing, burning pain every time I inhaled.  I also told them that I was getting lightheaded when I would stand up.

After 6+ hours they released me home with the diagnoses of Pleurisy and two new prescriptions.

 Ketorolac is used to relieve moderately severe pain, usually after surgery. Ketorolac is in a class of medications called NSAIDs. It works by stopping the body's production of a substance that causes pain, fever, and inflammation. Ketorolac comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken every 4 to 6 hours ...

 Oxycodone is used to relieve moderate to severe pain. Oxycodone is in a class of medications called opiate (narcotic) analgesics. It works by changing the way the brain and nervous system respond to pain.

I came home took my meds and slept, waking only briefly a few times to adjust my position.  Today it seems my chest is tight and the pain is still there.  So, I didn't do much.  I had Bill move my mattress to the living room so I could be a veggie and watch our Big T.V. and not feel like I was locked away.  To me that's the worse part of being in bed is the feeling that the world is passing me by.
So... of course I had to convince the dogs that this was my resting place and not theirs.  Megan (our biggest baby dog .. part Sharpei and part Malamute) thought her place was under the covers.  LoL



Britt's dog Foster is the miniature Australian Shepard and Megan is under my comforter


Dori our Pit being the best girl and not on my bed


Megan the princess again. 
I promised to take the weekend slowly and lay around.  But, I asked the doctor before I left the emergency room if I could exercise soon and he told me as soon as I felt well enough... sure.  Of course taking it slow and stopping if the pain reoccurs.  I made it a point to ask in front of Bill because he is always so eager to point to my working out.
I am hoping Monday I can get back to Curves.  We'll see.

4 comments:

Genevieve said...

Kellie,
You are a strong woman. I read your blog what you went through at the ER. I bet you love that place? I know you hate it as much as me. YUK YUK YUK
You are a fighter and you are strongwilled, that is why you keep moving day after day.
You are my hero, woman! Kepp fighting!

Unknown said...

Thank you Genevieve,
Today I don't feel much like a hero. I just wish this pain would disapear or lessen so I could go on with life.
I know you know how I am feeling. Hugs to you. <3

Sarah Renner said...

Oh I love our emergency room!!! SO I was diagnosed with plueresy (sp?) about 7 months ago as well, and come to find out they misdiagnosed me...I had ribs out of place, and the chiropractor put them back in and I have been 7 months without pain, though I can tell I need adjusted again. Have the meds helped? You might consider seeing the chiropractor. I honestly thought my heart and or lungs where going to explode I had so much pain from it....anyways hope they get it under control for you soon. love you ....love me

Jools said...

3 x already for me this year. Regarding feeling cut off. Get an iPad you will never feel like that again. It will do everything except feed you. Lol