Walking into a new and brighter life.

Walking into a new and brighter life.

The healthy me

The healthy me

Finding your way around

~*~ You can look on the right hand side of this page and see what the catagories are, or you can just scroll down until you find what you're looking for ~*~ To leave a comment you need to sign up for a google account. It's quick and easy and they expect nothing else from you. LoL

This I know.................

This I know.................

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mom's Homemade Salami



5 lbs lean hamburger
4 tablespoons Morton's Tender Quick Home Meat Cure Salt
2 1/2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
2 1/2 teaspoons coarsely Ground Pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons Dry Mustard

Knead all ingredients together and put in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Knead 5 minutes each day for 4 days. After kneading on the 4th day, divide and roll into 5 or 6 rolls. Place rack over a baking sheet, or use a large broiler pan to catch the drippings.


Bake 9 hours at 160 degrees, turning the rolls every 2 hours. Remove from baking racks to cool. Wrap in Saran and store in refrigerator or it freezes very nice as well.

* Note.... My oven's lowest temp is 170 degrees and I still cooked for 9 hours and it was fine.
I was very pleasantly surprised... I love this.. It tastes to me like a very mild summer sausage. Bill said he would use it in place of Kielbasa.

No comments: